Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR), an autonomous body, was constituted in 1942 by a resolution of the Central Legislative Assembly. The functions assigned to CSIR were:
• Promotion, Guidance and Coordination of scientific and industrial research in India.
• Establishment and development of institutions and assistance to departments existing institutions for specific
study of problems affecting particular industries and trades.
• Establishment and award of research studentships and fellowships.
• Utilization of the results of the researches conducted under the auspices of the Council for the development
of industries in the country.
• Establishment, maintenance and management of laboratories, workshop, institutes and organizations to further
scientific and industrial research.
• Collection and dissemination of information in regard not only to research but also to industrial matters
• Publication of scientific papers and journal.
Labs of CSIR for Biotech and Life Sciences aspirants.
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB),Hyderabad 500 007, (AP).
Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, (IICT) Hyderabad (AP).
Central Leather Research Institute(CLRI), Chennai (TN).
Central Electrochemical Research Institute (CECRI), Karaikudi (TN).
Central Fuel Research Institute (CFRI), Dhanbad (Jharkhand).
Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI), Mysore (Karnataka).
Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute (CGCRI), Kolkata (WB).
Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB), Kolkata (WB).
Central Institute of Medicinal & Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), Lucknow (UP).
Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow 226 001 (UP).
Indian Toxicology Research Centre (ITRC), Lucknow (UP).
National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI), Lucknow (UP).
Central Scientific Instruments Organisation (CSIO), Chandigarh.
Institute of Microbial Technology (IMT),Chandigarh.
Central Salt & Marine Chemicals Research Institute (CSMCRI), Bhavnagar (Gujarat).
Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology (IGIB), Delhi.
Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology (IHBT), Palampur (HP).
Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP), Dehra Dun (Uttaranchal).
National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune (Maharashtra).
National Environmental Engineering Research Institute(NEERI), Nagpur (Maharashtra).
National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), Goa.
Regional Research Laboratory (RRL) Bhubaneswar (Orissa).
Regional Research Laboratory (RRL), Jammu-Tawi (J&K).
Regional Research Laboratory (RRL), Jorhat (Assam).
Regional Research Laboratory (RRL), Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala).